Saturday 21 December 2013

Summer Afternoon by Yiorgis Sakellariou released on VQR Static today

I made this recording in Ambeliona, a small mountain village in Greece, a place which I am very fond of since I have family roots there. This is the third publication I've made with sounds from that specific area. The first release, Mecha/Orga – 40:49 (Echomusic, November 2010) is a compositional work in which the environmental recordings were heavily processed. A year later I released Mecha/Orga – 34:13_Ambeliona, on Triple Bath label. Again, the work is a composition although the multi-layered sounds were not processed at all.

Summer Afternoon, on the other hand, is a durational recording. No additional edits or filtering took place in post-production. All the compositional decisions (location, time, duration, setting up microphones) took place just before pressing “record” on that peaceful afternoon in August of 2013.

Yiorgis Sakellariou
November 2013

mechaorga.wordpress.com